[argyllcms] Re: telling X11 about location of display profile.

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:58:01 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:
I am still confused. And I think it must be about some very basic point.
I keeping reading explanations and the words don't seem mean what I
thought they did.
How does the system know what the "persistently configured profile" is?
Where is it or its location stored?

Notice that <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispwin.html#I> refers
to <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ucmm.html>, which explains
where this information is stored.

As I understand it, when I first login, thus restarting X, my system
doesn't know anything about a profile and the video card has whatever
its default LUT is.

Yep.

As far as I can see, if I just run dispwin -L (no argument), my system
won't know how to set _ICC_PROFILE.

It will if you've installed the profile using dispwin -I xxxx.icc.

I suppose dispwin -L (no argument) could look in some standard location
such as ~/.color.  Is that what happens?

Sorry, I can't remember off hand, and I don't have a Linux machine on at
the moment.