[argyllcms] Re: telling X11 about location of display profile.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:18:27 -0600

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 12:47 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > Is it possible to tell my version of X11 under Fedora 9 what my display
> > profile is?   If so, how do I do it?  And if I did it, would any of my
> > applications be able to make use of it.  gimp is supposed to be able to
> > use the system monitor profile, and I believe that other applications
> > are also supposed to be able to do it.
>
> X11 as such doesn't "know" about profiles. But an Atom is a way of
> setting an attribute that X11 makes available to applications.
>
> > I understand that the appropriate atom is _ICC_PROFILE.   I've found out
> > how to list atoms, but I don't see any way to set one.
>
> dispwin -L as explained here
> <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PM5>,
> and here <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispwin.html#I>.
>
> Graeme Gill.

It seems I've gone through this before, and forgotten what I knew.  It
is beginning to come back to me.

But I'm still somewhat confused.

I thought dispwin -L xxxx.icc loaded the vgct into the video card LUT.
What I want to do is allow an application such as gimp to query the
system (X server?) to find out which profile to use.

The documentation seems to say that dispwin -I xxxx.icc does that, and
presumably also loads the vgct in the video card LUT.  I tried that and
when I run

xprop -root | grep ICC

I get a whole line starting
ICC_PROFILE(CARDINAL) =
followed by a long list of Are those numbers the profile?.

Also Clemens Beisch suggested I do a google search on
XICC fedora
and when I did that I found the answer to the same question when I had
asked it previously.   But that told me to use xicc for this purpose.  I
can't find any program called xicc.

I think at this point I do understand that a profile has a calibration
section and also a profile, and I understand what they do.  But I am
still unclear about which commands to use to do it.

Finally, can anyone remind me about which other programs under Linux can
make use of the profile in this way, and how you manage to tell them to
do it?
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University