[argyllcms] Re: sRGB/AdobeRGB98 vs Lab (was Verifying profile quality...)

  • From: Milton Taylor <milton.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:27:13 +1100

What happens if you redrew the gamut to also limit the maximum energy at any hue to something like the maximum typical brightness of an LCD? (Say 250 cd/m2) knowing full well that this would only happen in practice if you did something like discussed below?

Not sure. You'd have to pick a white point brightness, and the gamut would depend on the two numbers you've picked, making it a non absolute boundary (and therefor disappointing to those who would like to know what the "speed of light" is).

I still think that would be more useful in a practical day-to-day sense.

It stops working if you aren't adapted to the lower brightness white point.

I think we are in agreement then...you couldn't just plonk down white at 125 cd/m2 sitting near to green at 250 cd/m2 and expect that the eye will 'believe' that the white is white and not a boring grey. But if you used subtle amounts of extra energy here and there the eye could be fooled....giving you a wider gamut.

Right, so it might be possible to experiment with this idea in that manner.

Well, even at 8 bits it would be interesting to try. So how do you suggest we make a profile and LUT that does it?