[argyllcms] Re: resources on LUT creation (algorithmic)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:51:53 +1000

Guy K. Kloss wrote:
That's a very good question. Ideally (I guess) the 3D fitting, as I suppose (if I understand correctly) there's more flexibility to adapt to device and illuminant distortions in colour space. But if it actually doesn't really matter, either way would be fine. I just know that my application will need to work properly in rather uncontrolled environments (regarding illumination).

Are there any comparisons or studies on the benefits of either approach available already?

The ICC profile LUT format uses both. Per channel input curves,
then multi-dimenstional LUT then per channel output curves.
The V4 format adds another set of per channel curves and a matrix.
So ideally a representation of a device response or color transform
would make optimal use of all these mechanisms.