[argyllcms] Re: relativ volume of gamut -- vrml comparison?

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:37:15 +0100

Preben Soeberg wrote:
> A correction to my previous information: The default profile is
> "Normal" not "Neutral". All rhe  profiles except Normal uses LUT
> profile in the profile directory, all with 3 A2B tables.

I asked this, because if the profile has all three tables, then the A2B1
is the colorimetric table, which should describe the colorimetry of the
device, and which should not do any gamut mapping. So I'm wondering,
whether the A2B1 transformation is the same in all your profiles, and
whether possibly only the perceptual and saturation tables are different?

> They all give the higest gamut when combined with AdobeRGB, 7% - 8%
> higher than for WideGamutRGB or for ProPhoto RGB.

If you convert with colorimetric intent from a source to a destination
color space, then you basically end up with the intersection of the
gamuts of the two colorspaces eventually.

For perceptual and saturation intent the gamut mapping of the profiles
distort things, though. One theoretical extreme case is that the source
gamut gets mapped bijectively to the destination gamut, so that you
eventually end up with the full destination gamut, even if the
intersection between source and destination gamut is only a subset of
the destination gamut.

Regards,
Gerhard