[argyllcms] Re: profiling camera

  • From: nino loss <nino@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 04:51:29 +0300

Thank you too for those very instructive replies. So, again, shouldn't the Colorchecker SG be the best target available, because it has more patches than the CC24, and, if I'm right, also uses custom colorants for each patch (unlike the it8)? BTW what with an high quality inkjet print individually measured, like the one from CMP?

For this capture I used one AcuteD4 head in a "new zoom reflector" out of a Profoto D4 (which is quite consitant from shot to shot!). When I do a reproduction, for capture and production of the profile, I use a "viewing wall" with GTI gray and Just 5000Ks.

  nino

On 8/8/2011 5:18 PM, Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:
08.08.2011, 16:13 nino loss wrote:

    I did the test suggested by Iliah Borg, but couldn't notice any
    significant difference between the two shots except a slight
    overall difference in brightness (aprox. 0.04 stop). I than placed
    a mirror in the spot of the target and couldn't see anything
    except some spots of dust.

You have very good conditions to target shooting in Your studio.

    So I replaced the mirror with an old glossy 5x7 it8 in the same
    setup. The resulting profile came out nice with a very low peak
    and average value. The glossy old it8 performed better than the
    still quite new CC24?!

The lower dE is not means the better profile. The IT8 target just simpler by spectral coefficients of reflection, than the CC24. Traditionally printed IT8 have the same colorants for all patches when the CC24 have custom colorants for every patch group. So, when You've placed IT8, You get less metametrism because of simpler spectrums of path reflections. The profile built with this IT8 will be very precise and ideal when You'll shooting under the same light the glossy color photopaper - the paper of same type and process as target was. But when You'll shot real object like a peoples, fruits or plants, this profile can be not optimal. Color Checker have more realistic spectral coefficients of reflection and the image with profile built on this target can be (but not obliged to be) more natural. The main issue of Color Checker can be a lack of patches. So the result with 24-patches Color Checker can be worse than with different target.

    Also there are no shiny objects, because I work in a large black
    studio, following a procedure similar to the one discribed here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/coloreyes-commercial.shtml
    One light only to avoid mixtures. The strobe is at an angle that
    does not reflect back into the camera. The light source is at a
    great distance from the target so that illumination is very even,
    and using a black cutter in addition to reduce on the closer side.
    Further screens in front and around the camera, and all metal
    pieces covered, to reduce reflections.

Your studio is impressive. Can You describe a little the light source? Which kind of lamp in it?

       nino

    On 8/8/2011 10:53 AM, Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:
    May be You'll see the glare from light sources or bright objects
    around the target. Even if the target isn't glossy, the glare
    influence is present anyway.
    Try to follow by Iliah Borg's advice: shoot the target in right
    and up side down positions and compare the profiles. If the
    results will be the same, the problem is metametrism only.

    07.08.2011, 16:15 nino loss wrote:

        I want to try, but why should that be different? I didn't use
        a glossy
        target this time.