[argyllcms] printing with non-calibrated service

  • From: Alberto Ferrante <alberto.ferrante@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:34:50 +0200

Dear all,
I would like to ask a question related to printing profiling. I need to
use a photo printing service that practically uses no calibration of the
printing machines (I surely would love to use another service, but this
is not my decision). The biggest part of the problem is with the gamma
of the printouts (images are very dark in the shadows if printed as I
provide them).
Of course I cannot do anything about the service, but I was planning to
prepare the images for printing in such a way that they will be printed
in the right way as much as possible.

My idea is to proceed as follows:
1) generate a target image by using targen and send it to the printing
service asking them to print it as it is (they normally adjust the image
to obtain a good result).
2) get the printout and generate a printer profile (I will need to use
my scanner, as I do not have a colorimeter for this).
3) use the profile to prepare, somehow, the images to be printed.

My question is: is there a way to do what described at 3)? Will it work
(despite not being optimal)?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
   Alberto