[argyllcms] Re: printer profiling best practice

  • From: Anders Torger <torger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:08:39 +0100

On 01/28/2015 04:23:24 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Anders Torger wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I'm thinking about a workflow with 500 - 700 patches, single-pass
> (ie
> > no preconditioning). My rationale is that as the printers are more
> > linear today and I don't need the highest end in terms of hue
> accuracy
> > it should be enough, and I'm also thinking that with fewer patches
> it's
> > more likely that the resulting profile will render gradients
> smoothly.
>
> Start simple and work up in complexity as you feel it is needed.
>
> It's pretty simple to figure out if a separate
> linearization/calibration
> step is warranted on a printer - if you print a standard image in
> a standard colorspace on the printer, does it look roughly
> right in terms of its tone ? Running into a raw printer with
> high dot gain, the answer will be "no, it looks way too dark".
> So you would calibrate it first. Most printers that provide a
> fake RGB print path should look roughly right, unless you've
> changed one of the printing control parameters, or something
> about the paper and/or inks is very different from what it is
> expecting.

Thanks! I think I've surfed up some good parameter settings, and the
remaining question seems to be how many patches do you really need. As
it will be a bit a matter of taste there's no right answer to that, but
I'll try to find my own "right answer". When I started out it felt like
I had to test trough an infinite number of parameters, but now I think
I'm down at only the patch count. I'll test 200 - 1600 patches and
compare resulting ICC profile performance both by eye, and by scanning
test images and see how much they differ. Hopefully the difference
becomes ~0 before I reach 1600 patches...

The Pixma Pro-1 is indeed one of those that looks roughly right when
going through the bundled printer driver and selecting a matching media
type.

/Anders