[argyllcms] Re: printer profiling best practice

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:24 +1100

Anders Torger wrote:

Hi,

> I'm thinking about a workflow with 500 - 700 patches, single-pass (ie
> no preconditioning). My rationale is that as the printers are more
> linear today and I don't need the highest end in terms of hue accuracy
> it should be enough, and I'm also thinking that with fewer patches it's
> more likely that the resulting profile will render gradients smoothly.

Start simple and work up in complexity as you feel it is needed.

It's pretty simple to figure out if a separate linearization/calibration
step is warranted on a printer - if you print a standard image in
a standard colorspace on the printer, does it look roughly
right in terms of its tone ? Running into a raw printer with
high dot gain, the answer will be "no, it looks way too dark".
So you would calibrate it first. Most printers that provide a
fake RGB print path should look roughly right, unless you've
changed one of the printing control parameters, or something
about the paper and/or inks is very different from what it is
expecting.