[argyllcms] Re: printer profiles - how to get max black

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:02:15 +1100

Gerhard Fürnkranz wrote:
doesn't the gamut mapping of 0.60 now bend the perceptual gray axis at
> the lower end towards device black, such that PCS CIELAB [0,0,0] (or
> actually the BP of the supplied source color space (profile -S ...))
> should eventually always map to device black? What am I missing?

I was referring to the the relative colorimetric table.

I didn't try generating a perceptual table and seeing if
it behaved similarly or differently. I suspect it
may be better for the reasons you state above, but
may still not perfectly hit the black point.
Part of the reason is that the black point is
a sharp cone shape providing a smaller target,
and amplifying any inaccuracy.