[argyllcms] Re: printer profiles - how to get max black

  • From: "Mike Russell" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 02:46:19 -0800

From: "Graeme Gill" <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Looking at the gamut shape, my general reaction is that it's not
the best separation I've seen from an Epson (is it an older model ?
Are there any firmware updates for those things ?).

It's not shaped much like a printer gamut, which means that you're
not getting everything the colorants are capable of giving, and the
black separation has the distinctive "cone" shape that hints at
a poor black generation algorithm. Not much you can do about all
that though.

The black point is rather far from neutral, which perhaps hints
why there are issues.

This is a (relatively) recent Epson, the 670, using Epson carts and paper. One unusual thing is that the swatches printed extremely dark, even with the film setting, which I believe uses the least amount of ink. Other than pure white, the brightest patch had a reading of Lab(87,-4,38).

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/