[argyllcms] printer profiles - how to get max black

  • From: "Mike Russell" <geigy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 03:18:33 -0800

I'm successfully making RGB profiles for my printers, using a DTP22, argyll's
targen and printarg (to create the target), Xrite's ColorPort software, the
cpxchg utility to convert argyll ti2 and ti3 files to and from ColorPort and
argyll's profile command.  I'm reasonably confident that ColorPort and cpxchg
provide a way for most Xrite instruments to feed into argyll.  Many thanks to
Graeme for his help in outline a method for debugging the workflow - this
turned out to be key, as well as a Photoshop based procedure documented at
InkJetArt.com.  My next step will be to "tune" the profiles to get a more
accurate gray ramp, as Graeme described in an earlier post, but that's for
later.

One remaining problem - the profiles I create are satisfactory, but for one of
my printers the PCS value for black, Lab(0,0,0), yields an RGB value of
RGB(13,8,2).  This is very close to black, but measures as a slightly lower
density than a max black.  The profile is probably attempting to compensate for
the rather cool black of this printer by adding red-orange.  Is there a way
that I can specify that black should map to RGB(0,0,0)?

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/