[argyllcms] poorly behaved monitor

  • From: Jon Zeeff <jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 08:07:01 -0400

Thanks for argyllcms - it has worked well for a couple of LCD monitors using a Monaco Optix. On a plasma monitor (a Samsung TV), I've been unable to get an acceptable calibration. Something to do with the reds and posterization/banding in the brighter skin tones. One thought was to collect some data to characterize the display by collecting output brightness values for each of the 256 red values. Ie, I just want to get an understanding of how linear it is and over what range. "spotread" might give me that data (although it would be tedious). targen + dispcal didn't work (probably operator error) for this:

$targen -v9 -d3 -D7 -D8   x
R test chart
Single channel steps = 50
Total number of patches = 53
Execution time = 0.000000 seconds
$ dispread -y l -display :1 x
dispread: Error - Input file keyword COLOR_REP has illegal value (RGB colorspace expected)

Any other ideas? Can argyllcms do a 3D LUT, perhaps measure a 32x32x32 matrix with 3D interpolation for the lower bits?

Also, any chance of putting the online documentation into a Wiki so that we can all add to it? Some things aren't immediately clear to beginners like me.