[argyllcms]

  • From: "alberto.ferrante@xxxxxxxxxx" <alberto.ferrante@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:03:33 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

Dear Iliah and Edmund,
thanks for your replies. Following my replies to
your questions.

> when you mean "profile" do you mean Raw or Jpeg? If
Raw, which converter?

Raw; the converter is ufraw, an open source
converter based on dcraw.

>First, how even was the light at shooting
the target, what was the light
>source, how much flare you are
getting, how linear is the greyscale step wedge
>on the shot, for each
of 4 channels?

The light source was sunlight (in a day with clear sky
with sun at the zenith). I used some black paper to shield the target
from possible reflexes on the bottom and on the right and left. The
illumination was even (I checked it on the images and, before taking
the shot, with a Sekonic light meter). I do not see any flare in the
image and I positioned the target to avoid glare as much as possible (I
don't see any on the final image). I can post the picture of the target
tonight when I get home, if required

>Second, what colour target are
you using for creating the profile - how does it
>warrant -qu for a
LUT-based profile?

I am using the target made by Wolf Faust (coloraid.
de).
As I mentioned already, I used it to profile other cameras in the
past.

> Third, how do you obtain the source rgb image for profiling?
Is it through
> ufraw in profiling mode?

Yes, through Ufraw, by
setting the output as absolute colorimetric, 16 bit, tiff. With not
color profile and linear base and output curves.

> Forth, why -al
instead of -ax; if not a -G which is a much more stable solution?

tried them both, but with no good results.
In the past I tried all of
the available profiling options and at the end I preferred the -al, but
I am ready to change my mind if any other option works better!

Fifth, does ufraw allow for a linearization tone curves over all 4
channels? If
> not - ask them to implement this option. If they are
unwilling, linearize
> yourself. Linearity must be calibrated before
profiling.

Can you please give me some references about this? What is
a linearization tone curve?

Thanks again!

Regards,
     Alberto

Invita i tuoi amici e Tiscali ti premia! Il consiglio di un amico vale più di
uno spot in TV. Per ogni nuovo abbonato 30 € di premio per te e per lui! Un
amico al mese e parli e navighi sempre gratis: http://freelosophy.tiscali.it/