[argyllcms] Re: nVidia GeForce & deep colour support in Linux

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 22:00:53 +0200

On 30. August 2014 22:29:55 MESZ, "János, Tóth F." <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>As much as I know, FirePro and Quadro drivers offer nonstandard
>proprietary ways to display 10-bit images inside windowed application
>over a "legacy" 8-bit desktop manager (thus the user isn't forced into
>DirectX or OpenGL fullscreen exclusive rendering modes and the
>developers don't need to create their own specialized user interface
>for that unique display mode).

That sounds like a workaround. The most difficult part is to give no choice of
how to drive the monitor (24 or 30-bit). With my quattro setup + nvidia. That
is certainly not the case. Without a 30-bit visual there is no 10-bit output.
However I have no idea what AMD does in their drivers.

>The Radeon cards from the HDMI / DisplayPort and DirectX 11.x era are
>proved to work in 10 bit DirectX fullscreen display modes.
>I am not sure about the Geforce cards but it should be a matter of
>driver support (I bet the hardware is capable to do it since every
>DX11 cards should be).

>> Not sure if this is helpful, relevant, or even meaningful, but my
>> understanding is that regular geforce cards only support 10 bit in a
>directx
>> environment, whereas you need the quadro for 10 bit open gl support

Opengl works fine with 30-bit visuals under xorg, be it Krita, Compiz, KWin or
ICC Examin.
xwininfo -root | grep Depth
Shows me Depth: 30. That means any application, which is capable to encode
10-bit bit per plane can display 30-bit. It is merely a question to find a
toolkit in support of that. Using xlib directly should enable applications for
high bit depth, which is mostly abstracted away by linux graphics API's these
days. The more easy way is using OpenGL.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe

--
Kai-Uwe Behrmann