[argyllcms] Re: nVidia GeForce & deep colour support in Linux

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: Milan Knížek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:52:54 +0200

Hello Milan,

> does anybody have a working setup in
> Linux like:

> x nVidia GeForce & Display Port & native 10-bit depth LCD

> x nVidia GeForce & Display Port & native 8-bit + FRC LCD panel [1]

This isn't the reply you were hoping for; I too have a set of high bit
depth hardware that is totally non-working under Linux. So I'm
interested to hear positive responses.

My system is Dell Precision M6700 laptop with Nvidia Quadro K3000M GPU
(native 10 bit per component) with internal DisplayPort cable (not
LVDS) going to wide gamut native 10 bit per component (12 bit
internal) PremierColor IPS screen.

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/precision-m6700/pd
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-K3000M.76896.0.html
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/product-comparison/Product-Comparison-Quadro-mobile-series.pdf

Its the first PC machine I have had in maybe 15 years that isn't
dual-boot Windows and Linux.

Mosly the Linux Live CDs fail to work; sometimes they work, I do the
install, and Linux boots to a black screen. I suspect the inability to
provide a 24bit visual is the reason, together with the 'nouveau'
driver.

I gave up a while ago, but if I have another crack at it I might try
installing with an external HDMI monitor (thus, restricted to 8bpc)
then installing the native NVIDIA driver, then rebooting with no
external monitor.

> [1] http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713h.htm
> or  http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-asus-pa279q.html

> Based on earlier announcement [2], nvidia binary driver for Linux
> supports 30-bit depth (RGB) in X for some time already. I succeed
> turning it on and got some glitches / colour artefacts as described on
> oyranos blog [3].

> [2] http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-295.20-driver.html
> [3] http://www.oyranos.org/2014/05/image-editing-with-30-bit-monitors/

So you got further than I did, but the dismal state of support for
greater than 8bpc under Linux is unfortunately not surprising.

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:chris@xxxxxx