[argyllcms] Re: monitor calibration - strange behavior

  • From: Alberto Ferrante <alberto.ferrante@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 23:26:25 +0100

Actually I think I found the reason of the inconsistency: even though I
double checked all the monitor settings in the past days, a setting in a
menu called "range extension" and incorrectly set on "auto" went
unnoticed. I think that in "auto" the monitor decides automatically if
the range extension should be used or not depending on the image. I
disabled it as enabling range extension increases gamma to 2.4 instead
of the "native" 2.2.
I also inserted 50 neutral patches (-g50 of targen) and the light grays
seem more neutral now (i.e., I do not have the feeling that images are
cold in the highlights anymore). I may add some more as I work a lot on
black and white images ;)

Best,
        Alberto Ferrante

--