[argyllcms] Re: monitor calibration - strange behavior

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:59:55 +1100

Alberto Ferrante wrote:

Hi,

> situation did not change much (I got a read of 108 from dispcal -r and
> then another one of 102 a few seconds later).

I'm not sure what you mean by that - are these different conditions,
or is this inconsistency in the display readings ?

> Visually, the monitor looks a bit cold to me in color managed
> applications. Maybe it is just my impression, though. I will probably do
> another attempt tomorrow with the displayport cable (that should allow
> me to enable the 30-bit color depth).

It might be instrument inaccuracy for that particular display type
(wide gamut displays tend to emphasise any inaccuracy in an instrument,
due to their narrower primaries), or it could observer differences
(ie. your eyes are may have slightly different spectral sensitivities
 to the standard observer curves).

Some people have reported a more obvious color difference between
near and far color (ie. small visual angle vs. large visual angle)
on wide gamut displays. This is due to the rod receptors that
dominate the periphery having a different spectral sensitivity
to the cone receptors responsible for color vision, combined
with the narrower primaries of wide gamut displays.

> Is there any way to check the profile with the colorimeter (i.e., load
> the color profile and then read patches with dispread to verify the
> accuracy of the profile)?

Yes, that's perfectly possible - you can use profcheck with any .ti3
file, not just the one used to create the profile.