[argyllcms] Re: meta data/comments in .cht file, std. conditions of .cht files

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:01:37 +0100

Guy K. Kloss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I've been wondering what illuminant and what observer angle
> the .cht files as shipped with ArgyllCMS are using.

.cht files are IMO not the right place for storing this information,
since they just describe the geometrical layout of the patches of the
target.

Instead, this information should be rather present in the reference file
which accompanies the scanner target, since it describes, which
illuminant and observer was used for measuring this particular target -
and in the reference files for my targets from Wolf Faust, this
information is basically present (although just as part of the
DESCRIPTOR), e.g.

IT8.7/2
ORIGINATOR "Wolf Faust"
DESCRIPTOR "L* a* b* Batch average data (light D50, viewing angle 2)"
MANUFACTURER "Wolf Faust - http://www.coloraid.de";
CREATED "February 26, 2006"
PROD_DATE "2006:01"
SAMPLE_BACKING "white"
SERIAL "DIN A4  R060101"
MATERIAL "Kodak Professional Ultra Endura - Lustreless"
[...]

or

IT8.7/2
ORIGINATOR "Wolf Faust"
DESCRIPTOR "L* a* b* Batch average data (light F7, viewing angle 10)"
MANUFACTURER "Wolf Faust - http://www.coloraid.de";
CREATED "February 26, 2006"
PROD_DATE "2006:01"
SAMPLE_BACKING "white"
SERIAL "DIN A4  R060101"
MATERIAL "Kodak Professional Ultra Endura - Lustreless"
[...]

In case of spectral readings, illuminant/observer are not relevant,
since you can can compute XYZ for arbitrary illumininant/observer
combinations from the spectral readings anyway.

Regards,
Gerhard