[argyllcms] Re: (last mail formatting error

  • From: "Tom" <chiataimakro@xxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 00:43:58 +0800

Gill wrote:

>It's quite difficult to transform a colorimetric reading using one
>particular light source (i.e. a white LED) into one for a standard
>light source such as D50 in a way that is independent of the
>spectral characteristics of what you are measuring. Reflective
>colorimeters have traditionally used an incandescent light source,
>because it has some similarity to D50, or can be filtered to be like D50.

that's true.
the colorimeter is mainly designed for emissive(display) measurement, with
reflective measurement as an extra option.
the colors rendered under a white LED will not match a D50 source for sure. i
read papers about synthesizing D50 and D65 spectrum with an array of 8-12 LEDs
of different wavelengths and types(with phosphor or not), which can be a good
alternative to incandescent lamps. i ll try to build one later. thanks for the
advice!
with a white LED the colorimeter may be used to QC products with the same type
of surface material, in a way where the absolute color of a sample is not
important, but the deviations between samples.
>Short answer: you would have to write a driver. There are numerous examples,
>from the simple to complex in the ArgyllCMS spectro/ source (i.e. ColorHug,
>Huey, DTP51, etc).

i tried my best to read your source code. it may take a while for me to figure
out what every function does.
i will give it a try on Visual Stuidio 2012.
Love you all,
Qin Yongliang‍