[argyllcms] Re: icclink and gamut mapping

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:44:08 +1100

Lorenzo Ridolfi wrote:
I'm building a DVL profile using icclink and I'd like to build a custom gamut mapping for a specific image using the gamut generated with tiffgamut. My question is, if I use "icclink -ip -G image.gam", am I compressing the gamut twice?

No you're not, since the -g and -G options both make used of
the colorimetric tables only (in fact the -G makes use of
only the A2B colorimetric table). That's the point,
-g or -G generates a link specific gamut mapping, rather
than using the gamut mappings encoded in the profile tables.

In -g or -G modes, the -i parameter determines the
type of gamut mapping generated, rather than choosing
which profile tables to use, which is why there is only
one of them (-i) rather than the two (-i and -o) in
simple mode.