[argyllcms] Re: i1 Photo rebate or i1Beamer upgrade

  • From: Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:42:22 +0200

Thank you Frédéric and Martin for your responses.

It seems I'm going into a little-explored area here, trying to use Argyll with
the i1 pro to profile a beamer.

Reading some review [1] about the i1 Beamer I figured out the slider Martin
talks about is used by the i1 Match software to calibrate the spectrometer
itself in complete darkness.

Questions:
- I suppose this complete darkness can also be recreated in other ways by
carefully covering the lens opening of the i1 Photo ?
- Is this spectro calibration standard procedure before profiling ? I mean,
does ArgyllCms do this also and is it required ?

Then I read that the software displays some colour gradients to help the user
pointing i1 Photo correctly to the center of the screen.

Question:
- How can I point my spectro to the screen center using Argyll ? Does it also
have some software trick for this ? Or are there some independent tools I
could use for that ? Note that I am limited to linux, so using X-Rite's
software isn't really an option.

Also, imagine I manage to get the beamer/screen combo profiled. I suppose such
a setup is even more susceptible to influences by ambient light ? I can't
fully darken the room whet the beamer, so outside weather conditions will
definitely play. In the end, I may have to go for Frédéric's procedure, and
profile the beamer only.

All in all, it's still not clear to me whether the i1 Beamer upgrade is worth
more than the 200$ rebate.

By the way: I contacted the MAC group and they send the rebate overseas also !
Bad news is, I already have thrown away a piece of evidence they require :-(
(a barcode on the packaging cellophane of all things...) Hopefully the other
evidence of purchase is sufficient.

Geert

[1] http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/i1-beamer.html
--