[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: Milan Knížek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:30:17 +0200

Kai-Uwe Behrmann píše v St 27. 08. 2008 v 20:45 +0200:
> Am 27.08.08, 16:49 +0200 schrieb "Gerhard Fürnkranz":
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > > Datum: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:41:11 +0200
> > > Von: "edmund ronald" <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> > > You print a target *with all color management options turned off in
> > > the print path*  create a profile with some profiling software, or
> > > have someone create it for you, and then convert your images to that
> > > profile with your image processing application and print them via the
> > > same print path as your target. There is no requirement for the print
> > > chain to be profile-aware, in fact what you want to do is switch all
> > > the color processing in the print path OFF.
> >
> > My understanding is though, that hpijs does not support raw CMYK printing
> > (like Gutenprint does) but only accepts RGB, and the driver converts RGB to
> > CMYK internally using a printer model specific, built-in, hard-coded 3D
> > device link CLUT (which I guess is supposed to do some kind of generic
> > perceptual sRGB to printer conversion). So it is IMO not really possible to
> > turn the color processing off but one can only (double-)profile the virtual
> > RGB colorspace emulated by the driver, which is likely suboptimal. Please
> > correct me, if my understanding of hpijs is outdated and does not longer
> > apply in the meantime.
>
> I have profiled a HP printer for use with standard print queues.
> It behaved like most other RGB printers ... suboptimal.

While discussing the RGB/CMYK drivers - is anyone using a CMYK workflow
(incl. ink limits, linearisation) with CcMmYKk (those light/dark inks)
inkjet printers using gutenprint/cups?

In particular, gutenprint has lot of advanced settings (density, ink
limit, grey transition, light ink transition; with gutenprint
gimp /cinepaint plugin also curve editor) for Epson Photo Stylus
printers.

P.S. At the moment, I use RGB printer driver settings + argyllcms to
make the profiles and guess whether it is wor

Best regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz
http://www.milan-knizek.net - about linux and photography