[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:33:00 +0200 (CEST)

Am 27.08.08, 14:05 -0700 schrieb Hal V. Engel:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2008 11:46:20 am Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> > Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > > It appears that poppler was selected because it is the only available
> > > open source library that will do PDF to raster conversions.
> >
> > And what about ghostscript? It certainly accepts PDF as input, as well
> > as PS.
> >
> > Regards
> > Gerhard
>
> Yes you are right Ghostscript does accept PDF files.  I forget that this is
> an
> option.  Since this is what is used in CUPS now I am not sure why the new
> pdftoratster filter is using poppler.
>
> However color management support in GhostScript has it's issues.  When
> displaying the "Is your system v4 ready" pdf* from the color.org web site it
> does not display any of the content that has an ICC profile.   But when I
> open
> this pdf in cinepaint the v2 profiles in the pdf are working but not the v4
> parts of the pdf.  Cinepaint uses ghostscript to handle the PDF file.  So it
> appears that there is some CM capabilities in GhostScript for PDF files if it
> is invoked the correct way.   In addition, I had a quick look at the docs for
> GhostScript and I couldn't even find a switch to use to specify an output ICC
> profile but I may have missed something.

Here a very short statement about Ghostscript CM plans:
http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2008-August/007871.html

And yes, for element rendering in PDF CinePaint depends on Ghostscript as
it sees only the final output. Thus it can currently not support ICC v4
for PDFs.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--