[argyllcms] guideline for targen + printarg

  • From: Michael Schulz <ms.typografik@xxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 16:33:51 +0200

Hello list,

would be a great help to get some advice using targen/printarg. I want to
make a target for an inkjet printer (CMYK + CM light) with a larger number
of test patches.
I thought that -d5 must be the right option in targen. But the printer RIP
obviously can not work with more than 4 channels. The most of the patches in
the .ps file are almost black and the .tif files are not accepted because of
their alpha channels. Using the -f or -N option doesn't change anything.
Other questions are: should one include a preliminary profile either an
older printer profile or a profile created with a smaller number of test
patches, does it make sense to use more than the default white color test
patches and should one use single channels and Gray axes steps?
I would be pleased to get examples of reasonable command lines for targen
and printarg to save me from my confusion

Regards
Michael