[argyllcms] Re: gnome-color-manager and argyllcms

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:34:14 +1100

Richard Hughes wrote:
# Huey
ATTR{idVendor}=="0971", ATTR{idProduct}=="2005", MODE="666"
(other devices here, perhaps 4 or 5)

Hi, the most elegant solution I've come across is on
Mandriva 2008, where by default anyone logging in on the console
gets permission to read & write to USB devices. The user
experience is then comparable to OS X and MS Windows - plug in
and go.

The above seems to be a udev config, but I was told that
this is not the current way of doing this, and that instead
PolicyKit is the current "Linux Way".
See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_Linux.html#PolicyKit>

Frederic Crozat wrote:

I've just modified it in Mandriva Linux 2010.0 to use new ACL
available in udev :

MODE="666" for each line should be replaced by ENV{ACL_MANAGE}="1"

The problem I have is that if I present a udev config that uses a new
feature such as this, how do I recommend it's use ? Exactly what systems
is this going to work on, or how does one tell what systems it's going
to work on ?

[My conclusion about all this is that the only semi-reliable way of
 making an application easy to install on Linux will be to write an
 installer that can snoop around and decide what to modify to make
 the instruments accessible. Yuck, but there you are.]

cheers,