[argyllcms] gnome-color-manager and argyllcms

  • From: Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:35:24 +0000

Hey,

I'm the maintainer of gnome-color-manager. gcm uses argyllcms to do
the device calibration, but gcm runs in the user session and does not
have access to hardware devices without a manual chmod.

I've got a few solutions, which I wanted some feedback on:

* ship a udev rule in upstream argyllcms which is installed just for Linux
* ship a udev rule in the Fedora argyllcms package
* Use PolicyKit to chmod the device from the session

Obviously the first option is most preferable, but this depends on how
keen you would be maintain the udev rules upstream. The udev rule
would be very small, and just look like this:

# Huey
ATTR{idVendor}=="0971", ATTR{idProduct}=="2005", MODE="666"
(other devices here, perhaps 4 or 5)

and this would be installed into /etc/udev/rules.d/argyll.rules

If this would be acceptable upstream then I'll work on a patch for
review, otherwise I'll work on other other two solutions. Thanks!

Richard.