[argyllcms] Re: gamut mapping

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:24:22 +1000

nome cognome wrote:
I think the following should be the right way, what do you think about it?

tiffgamut -d1.0 -f90 -pj -ir -cmt ProPhoto.icm photo.tif

It's probably OK, although it would be safer to leave out -ir.

collink -qh -G photo.gam -ip -cmt -dpp ProPhoto.icm printer.icc
photo2printer.icc
cctiff photo2printer.icc photo.tif readytoprint.tif

I agree I should choose viewing conditions from the enumerated
choices, but I want to be sure if I fully understand their meaning.
The input viewing conditions (-c) should be mt (Monitor in typical
work environment) beacuse I judge the picture in terms of how I see it
at the monitor, am I right?

If that is the conditions you view the source image, and they are
the ones used in conjunction with the source profile (ProPhoto.icm),
then yes.

The output viewing conditions (-d) should be pp (Practical Reflection
Print) because I intend to print the image, am I right?

They are the viewing conditions used in conjunction with the output
profile (printer.icc), so yes, this seems reasonable.

If I wanted to display the image on a second monitor with a lower
gamut instead of print it I had to choose mt for the output viewing
condition too, am I right?

Yes.

From cctiff documentation: "-p use slow precise floating point
conversion, rather than fast integer routines", but also "the -c, -p,
-k and -r options are intended to aid debugging"
So should I use -p to achieve the best possible quality or not?

It's not the point of cctiff to do so. The point of cctiff is
to transform colors rapidly using integer routines, and the
-p flag is to allow checking of this code. It's unlikely that
you will see any visible differences between the integer routines
and the floating point check code.