[argyllcms] Re: eeColor LUT box white clipping

  • From: Ivan Kolesov <ivankolesov64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:36:30 +0600

Hi,

> Hmm. Is there no way of configuring the display card for Video level out,
> or the TV for PC range in ?

I guess that would not be useful, since I only use this hardware
chain, and since that other clipping most probably occurs in the
monitor, not at an earlier stage, the results would be the same.

> You can of course use the ArgyllCMS TV range out encoding options
> to deal with it too.

Yes, that would be great, but I only use PC levels now. A new 8-bit
monitor would be a more permanent solution.

> It's really hard to know how the eeColor deals (or doesn't) with
> different encoding ranges. The guess at the moment is that it
> doesn't, hence the need to configure collink appropriately
> with the correct encoding.

Still, my curent profiling attempt shows that the LUT box can actually
handle the CM process quite well for TV and PC range. I only have to
figure what I did wrong previously to get the clipped whites in the
previous profiling instance. I don't think I have the knowledge,
though.

> The eeColor has 64 entry tables with a fake 65'th entry
> wired to 1.0, so the entries are numbered from 0..64, as per usual
> computer notation.

Right, my bad. :)

Ivan Kolesov