[argyllcms] Re: dispread fails with ubuntu packed argyllcms with i1pro

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:43:34 +1100

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

Would linking against libusb-1.0.x solve this issue? Or has the API changed?

In principle it could be linked using the the 0.1 backwards compatibility. I
don't know it it works with any or all of the instruments though, and since
the libusb developers (wrongly) assume libusb 0.1 isn't capable of concurrent
access, they may not be allowing for this in the 0.1 compatibility.
I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you have access to, and are
prepared to throughly test all the instruments on all the supported
version of Linux and all the versions of OS X (10.3 - 10.6).

[ But basically, who has time for all this ? Why is it so damn important
  to toss out known working code, and to link with unknown, untested
  code, when it is very well established that this area is rather fragile
  due to the vagaries of instrument and system USB drivers ? ]

Since libusb 1.0 isn't API compatible with libusb-win32 1.0, I can't
currently update the API Argyll uses. There is work on MSWindows
support in libusb 1.0, but it's far from finished yet (it doesn't
work with the MS compilers for instance, and the development hasn't
been merged and widely tested yet). When and if this occurs, and/or I
can find time to contribute to getting libusb 1.0 Win into shape, then
I'll switch Argyll over to it (but much time will then be spent testing
everything again). There may still be the issue with deployed
systems libusb 1.0 compatibility though, so I will be inclined to
continue to provide libusb with Argyll for some time.