[argyllcms] display calibration and profiling

  • From: Frédéric Bron <frederic.bron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 01:40:11 +0100

I have just been able to get a colorimeter (i1 display). I have used
it with argyllcms to calibrate (can only change the brightness) and
profile my laptop display.

I first tried the one step option with dispcal:

$ dispcal -v 3 -m -yl -qh -g2.2 -Y p -o profile1.icc profile

The profile I obtained changed dramatically my display colors which
were much too blue! It has improved a lot my photographs. I am already
very happy. Thanks a lot to Graeme for this wonderful tool.

I then tried to go further using
$ targen -v 3 -d3 -f2000 -cprofile1.icc profile
$ dispread -v -yl -k profile.cal -Y p profile

I then get a profile.ti3 files.

I can then create a matrix profile with:
$ colprof -v -q u -qm -as -O profile2.icc profile

My questions:

1. for profile1.icc, I run dispcal 3 times and chose the one that has
the smallest worst case at the end of the log "Failed to meet target
0.400000 delta E, got worst case 0.612002". Is that useful? Sometimes,
the worst case varies from .6 to 2, I choose .6

2. is the matrix profile created with colprof (profile2.icc) supposed
to be better than the one created by dispcal (profile1.icc)? With
colprof, I cannot find any comparable output as for dispcal like "got
wors case ...". Instead I get "peak err = 10.749372, avg err =
1.225101, RMS = 1.723312". Is that delta E error?

3. I would like to try the other option that creates a LUT based
profile to see if I can see any difference with the matrix profiles
but I am lost in all the options. In particular, an input profile must
be provided: "For a LUT based profile, where gamut mapping is desired,
then a source profile will need to be provided to define the source
gamut." What does that mean? Should I provide the Adobe RGB profile as
I want to view my photographs that have been coded in Adobe RGB?

Thanks in advance,

Frédéric