[argyllcms] Re: dispcal/dispread/dispwin test window stops updating at some point

  • From: Sam Berry <samkberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:54:54 +0100

On 20 October 2010 05:53, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, I think I have a rough explanation for the problem: the Argyll
> utilities
> have a single work thread, so the window message loop is serviced
> only when a test window color changes. This isn't a problem in itself,
> since
> the test window is not meant to be movable or changeable, and it's
> only activity is drawing a new color.
>
> The problem comes with Win7 (and probably Vista) Task Manager, which
> above and beyond monitoring applications to see if they are responding
> to messages in their message queue (by periodically posting a "get icon"
> message to see how long it takes to get a response), they also shut down
> any applications that it thinks aren't responding, by preventing
> WM_PAINT messages!

Aha! Good call. Closing task manager solves the problem for me. I usually
have it open, perhaps explaining my poor success rate.

> For some reason KatMouse exacerbates this by vastly reducing the
> time threshold at which Task Manager regards an application as not
> responding.

I have the laptop synaptics touchpad utilities installed which perform a
similar function I suspect.

> I have a proposed solution compiled into these versions (by using
> a thread to service the window messages):
>
> <http://www.argyllcms.com/ccmxmake.zip> 2131771 bytes

Unfortunately the problem still exists in these for me. Are you aware the
files contained in the archive are dated the 15th?

> See if they behave any better.
>
> Graeme Gill.

Cheers!

Sam