[argyllcms] Re: dispcalGUI v0.2.5b rc1

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:36:39 +0200

Martin,

Are any error messages shown when running dispcalGUI from a manually opened
terminal?

No. Just running for 2-3 seconds without messages.

Also, there should hopefully be a logfile at
~/.local/share/dispcalGUI/logs/dispcalGUI.log
which might hint at what went wrong.

No. Just the 'lang' folder.

Okay, so it's failing really early, maybe even before the embedded python interpreter starts to run. Not much I can do in that case, I fear. It might be easiest to just use the source after satisfying the Python and wxPython dependency (a side note, you can use the install script to compile and install from source, but it should be done using sudo, otherwise it will try to use ~/.local as prefix which Python will likely complain about).

Also, running dispcalGUI on Vista I noticed a considerable increase in
Dos promt initialization time. Maybe doubled, trippled?
Could have to do with the higher compression I used for the executable.
Maybe it'll be better if I leave the exe uncompressed.

It takes about 30 seconds of cursor blinking before the 'Starting up...' part.

That's definitely too long. It takes about 3-5 seconds on my two Windows boxes (which are both rather old/slow-ish systems btw). I uploaded a new installer, which contains an exe that is not compressed as much:

http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/snapshot/20090424/dispcalGUI-0.2.5b-Setup.exe

Still peculiar, I did not think that compression alone could cause such a delay. There's not much initialization on the behalf of dispcalGUI at launch either.

Regards,

Florian Höch