[argyllcms] Re: dispcalGUI development snapshot available

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:36:18 +1000

János wrote:
Can somebody tell me any details about this "drift compensation"?
How does it work? Does it periodically measure the same test pattern (native
display black and/or white and/or primaries?) and calculates compensation?

Yes. See the documentation <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispcal.html#I>.

How do I tell if I may need it or absolutely not?

If you get problems that are due to the instrument black
calibration drift, or don't want to spend the time acclimatizing
the instrument to the display conditions, then they might help.

If you don't have these problems (or don't understand the problem
or what the option attempts to do), then don't use them.

[The point is that I can't say if these options sometimes help,
always help, or sometimes cause problems themselves, or always
cause problems themselves, because I can't test calibration and
profiling for every possible purpose, with every possible
instrument, with every possible display, in every possible
measurement situation. All I can do is put it out there after a limited
amount of testing, in the hope that it might be useful, and see
what people report.]