[argyllcms] Re: dispcalGUI 0.2b

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:42:33 -0500

Hallo Florian,

> Hiding the underlying utilities and the shell window is on my list, but
> I have yet to find a way to interact with the commandline tools like
> dispcal programmatically (and cross-platform).

My remark was not intended to take away value from dispcalGUI because the
user still needs to interact with dispcal inside a shell window, in the
background. I think I was under the wrong impression. I don't think you need
to spend time hiding Argyll's commande line interface completely as you
probably have lot's of other, more interesting priorities. So, please,
unless this is really easy to do, cross-platform, which I don't suspect is
that easy, leave dispcalGUI the way it is. Besides, it's fine that the user
sees the progress of dispcal in a shell window.

Are there options in dispcal that will launch dispcal on its own, without
requiring any user intervention? Like a completely automated way of going
about calibrating and profiling?

I think you could add some mention of the fact that dispcalGUI is not
designed to completely hide or encapsulate the functionality of dispcal,
that some interaction with the dispcal is still required inside a shell.

This being said, Florian, do you also have a similar GUI for the printer or
scanner part of Argyll?

> Yes, it generally benefits from a larger sample count. Reason for the
> smaller default testchart is that it takes less time, for people who
> want a quicker profile

Can a generalization or some alert be made in the interface, perhaps in the
TestChart file drop down menu that the default 127 samples testchart for LUT
profile will not yield a very high quality profile? That it may be adequate
for slow instruments, like the filter-based colorimeters, but faster
instruments will benefit from the 512 higher sample count.

BTW, I still to experiment with the options in the Extra menu. Like
calibration and profile verification.

Last but not least, can the Spyder3 be used, today, with dispcal?

Thank you / Roger

database 3709 (20081220) __________

http://www.eset.com