[argyllcms] dispcal performance

  • From: Roger <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:28:10 -0500

Graeme und Florian und Klaud und Gerard under alles folk ich forget to
mention,

I was preparing for my tonight class on monitor calibration when, going in
and out of various profiles and calibrations, with Florian's wunderbar
dispcalGUI, on Windows, it occurred to me that Photoshop does not update
dynamically the monitor profile, as on MacOSX. Why? I don't know. But I was
looking at a CMYK image under what I considered a good Calibrate and Profile
session, and the color was kind of posterized :(

I could not explain to myself why such poor results but I persevered.

Lucky for me, I decided to check the Monitor RGB under Color Settings and,
there it was, set on the Spyder2 profile I had created earlier this week.
While the last monitor profile and calibration was done with the i1pro!!
Imagine my (pleasant) surprise.

So, I exited out of Photoshop and relaunch and the color were much better --
way better.

Moral of the story? Because I prefixed the name of the profile with the
instrument I was able to trace the problem to something not being updated.
So, for dispcalGUI, Florian, I think it's important that the name of the
profile "documents" as much as possible out the calibrating and profiling
conditions.

I'll try to come back with suggestions but, right now, I have to go to
school...

Cheers / Roger