[argyllcms] Re: dispcal conflicts with nvidia x server settings manager

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:18:09 +1100

Sergey Zolotaryov wrote:

> When I run dispcal and try to calibrate the monitor before profiling I have
> to tweak the brightness/contrast settings with my video card utility app
> "NVIDIA X server settings". If I adjust the values before running dispcal
> the monitor responds correctly. But if I put my colormunki on the monitor
> and start dispcal and try to adjust the monitor settings a warning is
> displayed int the settings app that the display values got overwritten by
> another app. So I can just see my new setting for a second and then it
> returns to the original value. Is it possible to tell to dispcal not to
> manage display while I am calibrating it?

Hi,

from the behaviour you describe, I would guess that "NVIDIA X server settings"
is
changing the graphic card VideoLUT curves. These are exactly the curves
that dispcal is intended to set. So no, what you are asking for makes no sense.

You can of course just profile the display without attempting to set
calibration (i.e. VideoLUT) curves, but of course only color managed
applications will make use of a profile.