[argyllcms] Re: dispcal: Warning - RegOpenKeyEx failed with 2

  • From: "Frédéric Mantegazza" <frederic.mantegazza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:23:05 +0100 (CET)

Le 3/1/2008, "Graeme Gill" <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

>I can't say I really understand what the HCFR folks are doing with their
>reference
>files. It doesn't make any sense to me that they can "calibrate" an instrument
>without an independent reference of some sort. So what I've done with
>my driver is to hard code a reference of the particular HCFR I have
>into the software. The reference was created by calibrating against
>an X-Rite DTP94 on two particular displays. The validity of this calibration
>depends greatly on the uniformity of manufacture of the optical sensor,
>and the similarity of the spectral characteristics of the displays to
>what is actually being measured. Without some sort of manufacturers
>factory calibration for each HCFR instrument, I don't see what
>else can be done for it.

As far as I understand, the reference file is in fact the primaries of a
given beamer. I think they are hoping that primaries does not vary too
much from a beamer to another, so they calibrate the HCFR colorimeter
that way.

If it is the case, I agree it is not very smart, as there *are*
differences from beamer to other, and the screen also has to be taken
into account... So, Graeme's method is better. I'll maybe suggest them
to use it!

--
   Frédéric