[argyllcms] Re: dispcal VDT DE 2K measurement discrepancy

  • From: Vallo Kallaste <kalts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:26:29 +0200

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 02:28:09PM +1100, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Vallo Kallaste wrote:
>
> > reproducibility? I mean that when near lab-grade instrument is able to give
> > reproducibility in ± 20 K range then my assumptions about consumer grade
> > instruments are plainly wrong.
>
> Color temperature in degrees K is notoriously non-linear. So there
> is no proportionality between a change in degrees K and the visual effect.
>
> A more linear measure is Mired: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mired>

Ok, something to think about, althought I hoped for simpler answer :)
But of course color mng. is not simple because it revolves around our vision.
I have lost some faith in instruments and measurements but will not sweat it.
The main point being that ± 200K or ± 5 dE variance seems to be something I have
to live with. My main monitor WP drifts >2 dE in 30 minutes, no meaning to
aim higher.
--
Vallo