[argyllcms] Re: convert shaper/matrix-based profile to vcgt/LUT-based profile? [restrict wide gamut display to sRGB]

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:04:24 +1100

Marcus Blomenkamp wrote:

> What would be the proper sequence of commands to generate a reasonably correct
> calibration curve embedded as VCGT so i can upload it using the respective
> tools, eg
> xcalib? Hint: I'am not aiming for serious color correctness but - i just want
> correct the color overshooting that is visible to the untrained eye.

Hi,
        this is impossible using per channel cLUTs, since you need to
move the chromaticities of the primaries, and that involves mapping
a pure color to a combination of colors. This is why some wide gamut
displays have an sRGB emulation mode.

Your alternative is to do the mapping in your application. Note that
while you can apply a source to destination transformation using
CPU based CMM's (ie. Argyll's imdi, or lcms), you could also
use OpenGL to apply a matrix profile or even a full 3D device
link, using texture lookups.