[argyllcms] Re: colprof problem

  • From: Marwan Daar <marwan.daar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:21:25 -0400

On 21/06/2015 10:20 AM, Ben Goren wrote:

If you want to know how linear (or not) your camera's sensor's response is, the way to test is to photograph a subject of known brightness / reflectivity and compare the values recorded to those of the scene. The typical way is with a standardized chart, with the Kodak Q-10 and Sekonic's meter calibration targets being favorites for this task. I had hoped to finish yesterday and likely will finish today building a device that I can shine a light into one end, insert various apertures in the middle, and get precisely-defined brightnesses out of the other end.

Another way would be to measure the luminance of a display at multiple gray levels, using a luminance meter/photometer/colorimeter, and then compare those luminances to the pixel values of RAW images of the same display.

Advantage is that you can measure at hundreds of different brightness levels. Disadvantage is that you have the noise level of the reference meter and potential display spatiotemporal nonuniformities.

With your proposed method, it would be useful to get a very stable light source. Perhaps a simple tungsten bulb fed with a 5 V battery and a voltage regulator that keeps the voltage at 3 volts or so. That way, the light should be very stable until the battery loses almost half its power (I'm really not savvy when it comes to electronics/electricity theory, but this method was proposed to me by people who have good knowledge).

Marwan