[argyllcms] Re: colprof problem

  • From: Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 09:07:10 -0700

“What can I do now to get a camera-own, linear output profile?”

If the a7 is encoding to an SLog curve, you can roll the raw values through
OpenColorIO and use the 1D slog.spi1d LUT to linearize the data.

“Standard practice is to convert from whatever your camera (and RAW
converter) produces to your preferred RGB working space, and linear spaces
make poor working spaces.”

I am sorry Ben, but having read many of your posts and having a tremendous
deal of respect for your insight, I can't think of a statement that looks
more inaccurate at face value.

So instead of making a case for why a reference space _must_ be linear, I
am curious as to your intended meaning? Do you mean at a low bit depth?

With respect,
TJS