[argyllcms] chart definition, documentation and contributions

  • From: "Guy K. Kloss" <G.Kloss@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:12:20 +1300

Kia ora,

I am doing some research here at uni on robust machine vision systems. For
that purpose I also need to target the subject of chromatic adaptation,
device characterisation, etc.

We have purchased several targets (GretagMacbeth ColorChecker w/ 24 patches,
Wolf Faust's camera calibration Target "C1" [1], and Christophe Metairie's
DigitaL TargeT 003 [2]). We would like to use these targets for device
(camera) characterisation using ArgyllCMS.

I would suppose the correct steps to achieve this would be (roughly) as
follows:

 * create .cht file for target using "scanin" (with the "-g" switch)
 * complete the chart .cht file manually
 * use "scanin" to create a .ti3 file
 * use "profile" with the .ti3 file to create a profile

As we're interested in using the cameras as cheap measuring devices we'd
probably use the "-u" option on "profile".

Unfortunately I do not know whether I can use the provided ref/it8.cht file
for the Wolf Faust target. And also I guess I would need to create .cht files
for the other targets, too.

But I find the process of creating the test chart definition .cht file not so
well documented. So, my question now is: Is there some documentation/HOWTO on
this around on the web somewhere? Or have I just missed it in the
documentation? (I wouldn't be surprised, happens to me in super markets all
the time, staring at the correct shelf and not finding what I'm looking
for ..)

I don't seem to be too alone in wanting some more documentation on the
charting issues, as I've seen from Roger's recent post:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 4:35:10 am Roger Breton wrote:
> I want to show my students how various charts can be used for profiling a
> scanner, among which is ye-ole faithful IT8.7/x. Ideally, I'd like to show
> my students how to develop a custom testchart with Argyll.

Now, this leads me to the second part of my mail: If someone creates .cht
files for targets (and wants to share it), or if someone writes the fool
proof HOWTO, how would it be shared? I don't really believe in "just" posting
it onto the mailing list, as this is hard to browse as a knowledge base. I
would much like to see something like a wiki, which could be used to create a
living knowledge base, that's easy to contribute to, and that also is indexed
by Google.

I have got knowledge of two colour related wikis on the web: [3] and [4]. The
wiki on oryanos.org licenses its content under the very permissive BSD
license, and it seems to be frequented by people from the community. Also it
mentions ArgyllCMS and LittleCMS, and referred projects use it, too. The
ColourWiki does not mention a license (I have mailed the maintainer Steve
Upton of Chromix Inc. regarding this). However, it seems more
commercially/industry oriented, and there's not too much community
interaction there.

So, what is your guys opinion on documenting ArgyllCMS related community
documentation on the oryanos.org wiki? Also chart definitions of alternative
targets created by users could be uploaded/managed there, etc.

Guy

[1] http://www.targets.coloraid.de/
[2]
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/christophe.metairie.photographie/eng%20digital%20target.html
[3] http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/
[4] http://www.colorwiki.com/

--
Guy K. Kloss
Institute of Information and Mathematical Sciences