[argyllcms] Re: camera profiling with newest version of Argyll

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:14:40 -0700

On Aug 27, 2015, at 7:52 AM, Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

if this is supposed to be paper white, makes me wonder if the chart has FWA
in it -- which would be disastrous for profile building

Bad news -- very bad news.

I just plotted the spectrum for that patch. It really does look like it's full
of FWA. It's got the characteristic low reflectivity below 400 nm with a steep
rise to a peak in the blue and a gradual decline towards the green. That is,
it's absorbing violet and ultraviolet light and re-emitting it as blue light.

You do not want to use this chart for profiling. Or, rather, if you had the
equipment and knowledge to be able to use this chart effectively for profiling,
you'd also have the equipment and knowledge to go a different route entirely.

Is this an actual X-Rite product? If so, I'm astonished and quite disappointed.
They know better than to do something like this -- and I've never seen anything
else made by X-Rite that's less than superb. Indeed, based on their reputation
alone, I'd strongly suspect that this is an homemade reproduction, or some
other sort of mimic....

b&