[argyllcms] Re: camera profiling with newest version of Argyll

  • From: Chad Johnson <chad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:58:34 -0400

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I did indeed use Capture One; it has an option for applying no color profile and a linear curve so I don't think it expects a gamma to be in the profile. Also my results were good with v1.5.1 with Capture One.

Specifically, I'm wondering what changed from version 1.5.1 to 1.8.0 (I haven't tried any versions in between so I don't know when the change occurred). For now I'm just continuing to use v1.5.1 since I get good results with it.

Chad

On 8/26/15 10:50 AM, Anders Torger wrote:

Are you using Capture One? The EXIF tags seems to suggest that.

I didn't think pure matrix profiles worked at all with Capture One, as
it expects the ICC to apply a gamma?

You can look at the TIFFTAG_TRANSFERFUNCTION in the exported TIFF to
see what you need to do to get linear data.

If you want you can look at my project DCamProf which has some specific
features to handle the quirks of Capture One. It's still a work in
progress though.

/Anders

On 08/26/2015 04:22:51 PM, Chad Johnson wrote:
Hello!

I'm attempting to build a color profile of my camera and I'm not able
get a reasonable result with v1.8.0. The last time I profiled my
camera
was with v1.5.1 and the results were good. The following is a
simplified
version of my workflow which I'm using for this particular test. I
executed everything exactly the same in both versions of the
software:

scanin -v -dpin IMG_4147.tif ColorCheckerSG.cht
ColorCheckerSG-xrite.cie

colprof -v -D"CanonEOS70D" -qh -am -u IMG_4147

The file "IMG_4147" is a 16bit TIFF file created with a linear
response
and no color profile and no adjustments of any kind.

I went back and made images by applying the icc profiles that were
created from the above process. The results can be seen in the
following
files. The file created with the v1.8.0 is very washed out and too
bright compared to the one created with v1.5.1.

version 1.8.0: https://flic.kr/p/wTNrFL
version 1.5.1: https://flic.kr/p/wTNrMh

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer to me!
Chad

--
Chad Johnson, PhD