[argyllcms] Re: bin/average: averaging and possible outlier elimination for three or more .ti3 sets?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:30:49 +0100

Hi :)

Klaus Karcher wrote:

any hints how to calculate the median for multidimensional (tristimulus or spectral) data? I've been looking for an algorithm that doesn't tear apart the measurement dimensions, but my efforts were unsuccessful.

Well I guess you'd have to digest each sample into a single-dimensional value to find the median - but in the context of GPLin, the misreads we were seeing were instantly obvious on a plot of input vs. L*, so I'd be surprised if in practice merely using the L* of Lab or Y of XYZ didn't turn out to be sufficient. Perhaps using dE from Lab 0,0,0 (or maybe even the Lab of 50% grey?) might be more robust with yellows.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson