[argyllcms] Re: bin/average: averaging and possible outlier elimination for three or more .ti3 sets?

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:32:09 +0800

> I've recently come across this myself. My conclusion is that it's a problem
> with bi-directional reading picking the wrong strip direction, because
> that particular strip has too similar pattern forward and backwards.
> This occurs more frequently with larger charts, because a larger number of
> strips increases the odds.

My chartread command for at least the later three charts definitely
included -B . I'm not 100% certain of the first two (in one of which the
transposition occurred - I haven't checked which yet).

I *thought* I'd disabled bidirectional reading from the very start, but
I'm not sure enough to say "that's not what caused it".

> > Also: I've run into an odd issue when averaging the data sets. The
> > output produced by `average' has more sets than the inputs do - both
> > inputs have 2130, but the output has 2364. I'm a bit puzzled about why,
> > given that both inputs were read using `chartread' from charts printed
> > using the same .ps file and had the same .ti1 and .ti2 . Is that
> > expected behavour?
>
> Sounds like a bug, although I wasn't able to reproduce it with a simple test.

I've seen it a few times. It seems to be associated with the use of the
-s and/or -g arguments to targen when generating a target that's then
run through printtarg. I'll try to put together a sequence of commands
that reproduce the issue for you.

--
Craig Ringer