[argyllcms] Re: bin/average: averaging and possible outlier elimination for three or more .ti3 sets?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:42:59 +0100

Hi :)

Craig Ringer wrote:

184 and 732 are CD6 and CD5 respectively, so it's clearly transposition.

Hmmm - interesting...

but the result was *awful*. Spectacularly, totally, utterly broken. If I
use it in Photoshop's "Proof Setup", for example, the displayed image is
mostly flat grey. If I turn on paper colour simulation it's mostly dark
black-ish grey. (I can provide the .ti1/.ti2/.ti3 files and .icc if
anyone's interested, but don't expect anyone to waste their time
unnecessarily).

Yeah, I'd be interested to see the three original .ti3s and the merged one created with average.

A profile generated from just one of the sample sets seems to be a lot
saner. It'll be hard to say how good it is until I send output from it
to the press, but for previewing jobs that've already been printed it
seems to be a decent match.

One trick I sometimes use when profiling is to take a TIFF of the original printed target, then transform it *from* the printer's profile to my monitor's profile - then I can compare individual patches and see at a glance whether it's off all over, or just in specific areas.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson