[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms+colord

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 09:26:22 +1100

pdi wrote:

Hi,

I find that making the colord group, and adding my user to it, is
not enough to gain access to the attached usb device; colord must also
be installed and running.

Sounds odd, but then I'm not very familiar with colord, and it's
hard to keep track of the in's and out's of Linux Distro churn.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out though - you just need to
look at the permissions that the instrument is given by udev
when it is plugged in. Check that the instrument is marked as
accessible by colord - i.e. compare the output of ls -l -R /dev/bus/usb
without and then with the instrument plugged in.
If you are a member of colord, you should then be able to open it.

Is colord a runtime dependency for argyllcms, or am I overlooking
something obvious?

No it's not a dependency. You need to check that there is an appropriate
udev .rules file in place though, and if not, add the 55-Argyll.rules file.

See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_Linux.html>

Hope that helps.