[argyllcms] Re: [argyllcms] printcal

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:37:31 +0400

Klaus Kompatscher wrote:

> I carried out the following steps:
>
> 1. I printed Argyll lin target on target printer with its linearization on
> and got targetprinter.ti3 file.
> 2. I printed Argyll lin target on second printer without linearization
> curves and got secondprinter.ti3 file.
> 3. Created targetprinter.cal by using printcal -i targetprinter.ti3
> 4. Created cal file for second printer with printcal -r targetprinter.cal
> secondprinter.ti3

The purpose of printcal is to linearize the printer, nor to bring the printer
to the "curved" state. So, Your printer will be closer each to other only if
the calibration is applied to both, nor only to the second. The second printer
recalibration result is the linearized behavior of the first printer.

> For my understanding with the above procedure printcal should match
> the curves of the target printer although they are not linear but curved.
> After the first tests I did printcal clipped the higher densities of the
> second printer to match the target printer but the linearization curves
> became linear and not curved as the target.
> Is this was printcal does or is something wrong?

If You print the test on the first printer with linearization (for first), the
printers will match.
IMHO, current printcal can't perform Your task.